Why Hydration is so Important for a Healthy Lifestyle
If you want to live a healthy lifestyle you’ll need to make sure you’re properly hydrated. Up to 60% of an adult human’s body is made up of water, so it’s pretty darn important!
H2O also regulates your body temperature, helps cushion your spinal cord, and lubricates your joints… and that short list is just the beginning. There are tons of health benefits of drinking water — and learning more about them might be the motivation you need to up your daily intake!
Water helps flush out your organs
Water plays a vital role in helping our organs, particularly the kidneys, clear out toxins and other waste. If you’re regularly drinking enough water then your kidneys should be able to easily cleanse your body of those toxins.
How can you tell if your kidneys and other organs aren’t getting the fluids they need? Well, let’s chat about urine. Ideally, it should flow freely, be light in color, and be free of odor. Your skin is another thing to check — sometimes, dull and dry skin can be helped by drinking more water.
Our muscles need water to function
When you sweat during exercise it causes your muscles to lose water. Dehydrated muscle tissue is more prone to breakdown, so that’s a big problem for people who love their active lifestyles.
If keeping your muscles going strong is an important part of your healthy lifestyle journey do them a favor and drink plenty of water. While everyone requires a different amount of water each day, athletes and active people need more.
How much water should I drink each day?
Generally experts recommend that people drink half an ounce to an ounce of water for each pound of body weight. So, a 140 pound person should aim to drink 70 to 140 ounces of water per day. If you live in a hot or arid climate or you exercise often you’ll need to drink more.
How can I drink more water every day?
If you’re struggling to drink enough water try some of these tips and tricks:
- Carry a reusable water around with you. If you want to save space for on the go, consider purchasing one of these handy collapsible water bottles. I have one and it’s so handy!
- Add fruits like diced strawberries, blackberries, and kiwi to your water to give it a flavor boost. If you enjoy adding flavor this way, try a glass infuser water bottle.
- Keep fresh mint leaves on hand and toss them into your water bottle. This one is great for summertime.
- Set timers on your phone to remind yourself to drink.
- Eat more raw fruits and veggies — they naturally contain plenty of water.
How do you keep yourself properly hydrated? Do you struggle with drinking enough water every day? Whether you have tips or need some extra help getting motivated, be sure to check in with other readers in the comments!