Tart Cherry and Caramelized Onion Compote
This Tart Cherry and Caramelized Onion Compote can be used in so many ways. Try spreading it on a sandwich or burger
, including it on your charcuterie board with some cheese and cured meats, or for the adventurous eater - as a topping on vanilla ice cream!
Made In Nature Test Kitchen
- 2 tsp olive oil MMade
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add red onion and sauce for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger and thyme to pan. Cook for 20 minutes or until onions start to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Add tart cherries, red wine, water, and maple syrup to pan. Stir and scrape bottom of pan to loosen browned bits.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until liquid reduces.